The Mission of George Mark Children’s House is to provide an important addition to the continuum of care for children with life-limiting illnesses; enhancing the quality of life for the entire family by offering medical, emotional, spiritual, and respite support in a home-like setting that is full of life and activity regardless of ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or socioeconomic status.
Reporting to the Director of Nursing and the Registered Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse on duty, this position will assist in providing direct patient care in a safe manner within the framework of the GMCH Mission and the philosophy of pediatric palliative care. This is an hourly, non-exempt, part-time full-time or per diem position that includes weekend, evening, and night hours. This position may require some travel.
Essential Functions: Clinical/Technical
- At the direction of the Nurse on duty, assists in administering quality palliative care to patients/families.
- At the direction of and with the supervision of the Nurse, assists with the management of symptoms.
- Prepares patient rooms and beds for patient admissions, transfers or discharges.
- Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks; checks in patients, takes inventory of patient belongings, assists in obtaining patient histories, prepares charts, and assists with medical examinations.
- Assists in keeping all patient areas of the House neat and orderly.
- Answers patient call lights, anticipate patient's needs and makes rounds on assigned patients.
- Assists the Nurse with treatment procedures.
- Reports changes in condition or behavior of patients and unusual incidents to the Nurse.
- Takes/records temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, height, blood pressure, calorie counts and intake/output measurements.
- Collects/transports specimens.
- Prepares patients for meals, serves/removes food trays, assists with meals or feeds patients; distributes drinking water and other nourishments.
- Assists patients with care of clothing and other personal property.
- Performs clerical duties as assigned.
- Responsible for the maintenance of medical supplies.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures proper operation of DME and other equipment by following manufacturer’s instructions; performs routine maintenance and acts as liaison with equipment providers.
- Develops and implements interpersonal skills sensitive to the needs of patients, families and colleagues.
- Works closely with volunteers, providing direction as needed.
- Answers phones at nursing station.
- Maintains current clinical knowledge of Nursing Assistant and pediatric palliative care practices through continuing education and attendance of in-service training sessions.
Essential Functions: Patient Interaction
- Actively participate in the provision of medical, psychosocial and spiritual care for GMCH children-patients and their families.
Essential Functions: Team Communication
- Document and maintain accurate clinical records in the Medical Record System (NetSmart).
- Attend scheduled Inter-Disciplinary Team (IDT) meetings when possible.
- Maintain patient confidence and protects GMCH operations by keeping all patient information confidential at all times.
- Check GMCH email daily in order to be apprised of House business and professional tasks and responsibilities.
- Maintains patient assignment log.
Essential Functions: Additional
- Perform tasks in a culturally sensitive manner without regard to any protected category as defined by federal, state or local law.
- Provide House tours as requested.
- Utilize GMCH resources in a cost effective manner.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area to reduce likelihood of health and safety hazards.
- Effectively deal with personal psychosocial and bereavement issues related to job duties.
- Maintain professional boundaries within Scope of Practice.
- Attend in-service training and staff meetings.
- Adhere to all state regulations regarding professional license.
- It is an essential function of this position to report to work on time for your scheduled hours, ready for work.
- Understand and adhere to GMCH compliance standards as they appear in the GMCH Personnel Manual, GMCH Policies and Procedures Manuals and Departmental memos.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Current California Certified Nursing Assistant license required.
- Current BLS/CPR certification required.
- Two (2) years CNA experience preferred
- One (1) year Pediatric or End-of-Life Care experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively using both written and verbal skills.
- Ability to complete tasks in a professional and confidential manner.
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer.
- Demonstrate the basic skills and core competencies of a Certified Nursing Assistant, including managing multiple, competing and varied tasks, time management, listening skills, problem solving (medical and interpersonal), decision making (medical and interpersonal), delegation of duties and successfully managing work-flow.
- Maintain accurate records of Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) and provide evidence as requested.
- Possess fluency in English.
- Possess fluency in Spanish or other language (preferred).
- Personal, reliable transportation, valid and current CA Driver's License, good driving record and insurance are required.