The Mission of George Mark Children’s House is to provide an important addition to the continuum of care for children with life-limiting illnesses; enhancing quality of life for the entire family by offering medical, emotional, spiritual and respite support in a home-like setting that is full of life and activity regardless of ability to pay, race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or socioeconomic status.
As GMCH grows in patient care and staffing, the Human Resources department will need additional support to be able to successfully serve GMCH’s staff and its operations.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with general principles, procedures, and practices of human resources, administrative, and office environments. The HR Assistant will be coached, mentored, and guided by the HR Manager.
Administrative Duties (50%)
- Create employee personnel files and maintain the HRIS personnel/payroll database in a highly organized, accurate, and timely manner in compliance with State and Federal Labor regulations.
- Perform general clerical support, such as copying, faxing, mailing, filing, shredding, typing and word processing, as well as general organization of HR office.
- Enter and update employee information in the HR spreadsheets and HRIS software to document personnel information & transactions such as hires, promotions, employment status, compensation information, performance reviews, and terminations.
- Assist with tracking of personnel due dates –TB tests, licensing/certification, Performance Reviews and Health Stream.
- Assist with Employment Verifications and EDD UI Claims.
Recruitment/Onboarding Support (30%)
- Assist with screening resumes, coordinate, and schedule interviews with applicants, Supervisors, and HR Manager.
- Conduct reference checks and background checks.
- Compile & prepare Onboarding materials, Personnel Files, ID badges, etc., as needed and instructed.
- Assist with preparing offer letters, Personnel Action Forms, and other necessary documentation for changes to employees’ status under the director of the HR Manager.
- Assist with preparing employee separation notices and all related termination/COBRA documentation, in coordination with the HR Manager.
Benefits/Leaves Support (20%)
- Assist employees in the understanding and administration of their employee benefits.
- Assist employees when enrolling for benefits in the HRIS software during New Hire Orientation and Open Enrollment.
- Assist with reporting Worker’s Compensation claims on the Worker’s Compensation website.
- Assist employees with questions pertaining to leave of absence and medical leaves.
- BA/BS degree in Human Resources or equivalent work experience.
- At least three years of employment experience in the Human Resource or personnel/workforce management field, required.
- At least three years of experience in administering employee benefit programs including group health insurance benefits, leave/PTO benefits, disability, and Worker’s Compensation.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills & etiquette.
- Excellent organization skills, time management skills, and attention to detail.
- Experience & ability to effectively comprehend and interpret/explain documents such as Organizational memos & announcements, personnel policies & procedures.
- Thorough command and knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & Outlook) required.
- Ability to maintain professionalism & composure in challenging personnel situations.
- Ability to maintain proper confidentiality within and outside the Organization regarding all personnel data and information.
- Utilize sound judgment in handling priorities and confidential matters.
- Manage multiple, competing priorities, all while demonstrating professionalism.
- Perform other related tasks and responsibilities as required.
- Rate of pay: $28/hour
- Part-time, 60%, 24 hours/week
- Eligible for benefits (health, dental, vision, life insurance) and PTO accrual
- 403b retirement plan
- Paid holidays
- Flexible, hybrid schedule