The Mission of George Mark Children’s House is to provide an important addition to the continuum of care for children with life-limiting illnesses; enhancing quality of life for the entire family by offering medical, emotional, spiritual and respite support in a home-like setting that is full of life and activity regardless of ability to pay, race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or socioeconomic status.
Reporting to the Dietary/ Housekeeping Manger, the Kitchen-Aide/Cook’s duties are assisting with daily prep work, cooking of food, assists with heating, serving, end of shift clean-up, and dishwashing, as well as following implemented daily/weekly/monthly kitchen cleaning schedules. This position assists with receiving of deliveries and the immediate storage of all foods/products to their designated areas.
This is a full-time, 80%, hourly, non-exempt, benefited position which includes, evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
General kitchen responsibilities (50%):
- Assists the chef with all food prep and preparation of designated menu items, heating, and serving.
- Assists the chef with the preparation of patient specific meals, to include the preparation of specialized pureed patient specific meals.
- Performs general clean up during and at the end of designated mealtimes which includes dishwashing of all dishes, pots/pans, cooking vessels, and wares.
- Ensures all foods are prepared to correct food temperatures as regulated by health code, and maintained at proper holding temperatures during the meal shift.
- Ensures that all hot food temperatures are logged during the meal shift per regulation.
- Ensures that all unused hot foods are quickly cooled down properly following proper HACCP cool down procedures.
- Assists in the monitoring process of the foods being cooled down and log all the temperatures during the progress until the completion of the final temperature is reached.
- Performs proper labeling of any leftover unused food items and storage at the end of meal service.
- Performs proper labeling and storage of all foods received into the house.
- Maintain a clean workstation throughout the assigned shift.
- Maintain proper cleaning and sanitation procedures at the end of meal service shift to include: all counters, sinks, refrigerator/freezers, and stove/stove top, and the cleaning of Ruth’s Café tables if housekeeping is not available.
- Assists in maintaining high standards of cleanliness in the kitchen and Ruth’s Café area.
- Maintain all sanitary food handling practices.
- Keeps in compliance of all departmental cleaning and sanitation procedures.
- Maintain daily compliance of personal hygienic standards.
- Prioritize daily workflow for efficient time management.
- Assists in the direction of kitchen volunteers as necessary.
- Ability to work alone.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Chef/Dietary/Housekeeping Manager.
General Kitchen housekeeping responsibilities (50%):
- Accountable for the upkeep, cleanliness and appearance of Ruth’s Café and all areas of the kitchen to include the pantries. Examples of duties include, but are not limited to cleaning of tables, microwave, counters, patient refrigerator and all garbage bins in Ruth’s Café area. Cleaning of all counters, sinks, refrigerator/freezers inside and outside surfaces, inside and outside cabinet surfaces, stove, and cleaning of equipment. Wiping down the outside trash and recycling receptacles.
- Performs and follows the “daily/weekly/monthly” cleaning task logs as outlined on the GMCH Kitchen Cleaning Frequency Schedule.
- Assists to maintain our high standards of cleanliness in the kitchen area and Ruth’s Café.
- Performs disposal of all kitchen/café area garbage, recycle and compost bins when needed, if housekeeping is not available.
- Works collaboratively with other departments and clinical staff regarding facilities support for events.
- Prioritize daily work flow for effective time management.
- Signs the “Daily Kitchen Cleaning” log report after every shift worked.
- Attend required departmental and staff meetings.
- Responsible for carrying out GMCH Mission in daily duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dietary/Housekeeping Manager.
- Possess a valid California Food Handler’s card or be willing to complete the online Food Handler’s Card training.
- Work comfortably in an alternative healthcare setting serving families and children who are seriously ill or dying.
- Perform job duties in an ethical and culturally sensitive manner without regard to any protected category as defined by federal, state, or local law.
- Communicate effectively with patients, families, staff, and contractors with an emphasis on positive relations.
- Daily, show the skills and basic competencies of a Dietary aide/Cook, including managing multiple, competing and varied tasks, time management, listening skills, problem solving, decision making, and successfully managing workflow.
- Understands and adheres to GMCH compliance standards as they appear in the GMCH Personnel Manual, GMCH Policies and Procedures Manuals and Departmental memos.
- Valid California Driver’s License with good driving record.
- Complete required annual HealthStream training modules yearly.
- Yearly Influenza vaccine as mandated per CDC (Center for Disease Control) regulations and GMCH policy.
- Competency in using the Internet, including Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook computer programs.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities as outlined above is qualifying. Specifically, formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance; and at least 1 (one) year of recent, full-time foodservice and/or foodservice in healthcare, involving the use of chemicals in the cleaning and maintenance of a kitchen environment. High School diploma, GED or equivalent preferred.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Requirements:
Working conditions in the interior of GMCH are clean, well-lit, and free from extremes of temperature and humidity. Working conditions in outside areas of GMCH are subject to extreme variations in temperature and humidity and may include wind and rain. Has the ability to sit, climb, reach, stand and bend, has use of both legs and hands possess the ability to have broad range of wrist/arm motion. Has the ability to grasp/hold objects and tools. This individual must be able to lift to 50 lbs. alone and up to 75 lbs. with assistance. This individual must exhibit sufficient hearing to understand conversations, both in person and on the telephone. Reasonable accommodations will be made for some physical demands and mental demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodations.
- Full-time, 80%, 32 hours/week
- Rate of pay: $20/hour
- Eligible for benefits (health, dental, vision, life insurance) and PTO accrual
- 403b retirement plan
- Holiday pay