“The Mission of George Mark Children’s House is to provide an important addition to the continuum of care for children with life-limiting illnesses; enhancing the quality of life for the entire family by offering medical, emotional, spiritual, and respite support in a home-like setting that is full of life and activity regardless of ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or socioeconomic status.”
The Operations Administrator ensures that the administrative functions are completed in an effective manner that is efficient, and compliant, using best practices. This position will provide direct supervision to the organization’s office services and functions, purchasing, client and staff communications, record-keeping, and managing the administrative departmental budget while serving as support to across departments. This position is highly visible, acting as the first point of contact for GMCH patients, families, visitors, and vendors, both in-person and over the phone, requiring professionalism at all times as well as handling highly confidential information.
The Operations Administrator will report to the Operations & Strategy Manager and assist in the development and implementation of organization-wide policies and programs that will contribute to the success of George Mark Children’s House.
This is a 90%-time (5 days per week), hourly, benefited, non-exempt position.
General Administration (60%)
- Responsible for managing and organizing overall administrative office functions and needs to include the overall GMCH calendar.
- Manage in-depth projects that may require research to complete.
- Plan staff events, wellness Wednesday and social events, monthly birthdays, coordinate meetings and special projects as needed.
- Prepare Operations Staff weekly meeting agenda.
- Answer the main GMCH telephone lines and direct calls to the appropriate staff.
- Greet patients, families, visitors and vendors, maintain Guest Sign-in Log, and prepare visitor labels.
- Sort, distribute and open mail as needed, including checks and other confidential information.
- Assist with vendor invoice collection and approval including tracking of credit card bills and receipts.
- Order, receive, stock, and distribute office supplies, stationary, and business cards.
- Coordinate the pick-up and delivery of express mail services (FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, etc.)
- Ensure that shared Administrative Office equipment is functioning (paper, ink, postage, toner for fax machine, postage machine, printers, etc.).
- Assist in preparation of and/or proofread presentations, correspondence, documents, presentations, announcements, mailers and flyers as needed.
- Maintain files, i.e., policies, donor records, advancement files and other files as needed.
- Assist with all operational event coordination, i.e., invitation, set-up and distribution of program signs, guest sign-in, etc.
- Under the direction of Operations and Strategy manager and Senior Executive Assistant assist with projects to include the Board of Directors meeting preparation, tracking the Directorship and Officer tenures, maintaining Board member’s biographies and a current Board Roster, as well as an annual Board Meeting Calendar. Gather monthly reports from Departments, create an agenda packet (electronically and hard copy), document activities of the Board and support with teleconference and internet communication methods
- Perform other duties as requested.
Advancement and Event Coordination (20%)
[Autumn Celebration, Garden Parties, and various fundraising events.]
- Support invitation mailing and follow-up.
- Prepare after-event postcard thank you notes and acknowledgements to be mailed no more than 5 days after the event.
- With the Advancement Director and Event Coordinator as lead, create post-event report of the event.
- In coordination with Advancement Director assist in reconciling silent/live auction commitments, if applicable.
- Assist with Advancement strategies and events as necessary, including but not limited to, mailing invitations and tracking RSVPs for event; facilitate event logistics (e.g. set up); event thank you notes, field communications with donors and prospects; conduct House tours.
Salesforce / Donor Correspondence (20%)
- Assist with in-house donor mailings and daily/weekly acknowledgement distribution.
- Assist Database Administrator with the timely processing of incoming gifts via check, credit card, cash, stock, and gift in-kind and distribution of donor acknowledgement letters.
- Ability to learn and pull donor reports for history, donor giving, etc. in a timely manner.
- Provide backup coverage to Database Associate with prompt processing of gifts using Salesforce database.
- Ensure payments made in Salsa are recorded in Salesforce and new donor profiles.
- Ongoing trainings to stay current and up to date on Salesforce platform.
- Solid knowledge of George Mark Children’s House services, mission and organization.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication, active listening, critical thinking, advising and counseling to effectively motivate others.
- Exceptional customer service, representing the George Mark Children’s House as its first contact with the public, patients and their families, must be professional, welcoming and considerate of customers at all times.
- Analytical skills to evaluate complex issues and identify resolutions.
- Demonstrated skills in employee collaboration, scheduling and work coordination.
- Must have the ability to work comfortably in an alternative healthcare setting serving families and children who are seriously ill or dying.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively deal with personal psychosocial and bereavement issues related to job duties.
- Interest in and ability to perform tasks in a culturally sensitive manner without regard to age, ethnicity, national origin, socioeconomic status or any other protected category as defined by Federal, State or local law(s).
- Possess basic skills and core competencies of an Office Administrator including managing multiple, competing and varied tasks, time management, listening skills, problem solving, decision making, and delegation of duties and successfully managing workflow.
- Exhibit conduct of the highest professional ethical standards with patients, families, staff, vendors, volunteers, and the general public at all
- Experience and ability to handle and maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion, work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and proficient in all Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel and Outlook Calendar.
- Knowledge of Salesforce platform and willingness to expand skills and knowledge.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills necessary to prioritize and work in a fast-paced environment to achieve daily assignments and goals.
- Some project management skills preferred.
- Demonstrate verbal and written communication skills necessary to explain complex and/or confidential information.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish preferred.
- Valid California Driver’s License with good driving record required.
- Background Check will be required based on job duties.
Education and Experience:
- Associate degree preferred or a combination of education and/or work experience.
- Minimum of three or more years in a similar position preferred.
This job description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Requirements:
Working conditions in the interior of GMCH are clean, well-lit, and free from extremes of temperature and humidity. Working conditions in outside areas of GMCH are subject to extreme variations in temperature and humidity and may include wind and rain. Reasonable accommodations will be made for some physical demands and mental demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodations.
Employees regularly working a minimum of 24 hours per week are eligible to participate in the benefits program.
- The cost for the employee's health, dental and vision are paid in full by GMCH.
- Accrual of 7.69 Paid Time Off hours per pay period.
- A wellness culture with team-building activities and special events like Wellness Wednesday, Family Picnic, and Remembrance Day in a unique, home-like setting located on five beautiful acres.